Press Release: CIJA Applauds Government Decision to Ban Canada Post Delivery of Your Ward News
Toronto, ON – The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) applauded today’s decision by Carla Qualtrough, the Minister responsible for Canada Post Corporation, to issue a final prohibitory order that will prevent the delivery of Your Ward News. Under the new order, those behind Your Ward News will not be permitted to use Canada Post’s unaddressed bulk mail services to distribute the paper or any substantially similar material.
In response, Noah Shack, CIJA’s Vice President for the Greater Toronto Area, issued the following:
“We commend Minister Qualtrough for her principled decision. Your Ward News promotes disgusting antisemitic conspiracy theories, misogyny, homophobia, and racism. Our taxpayer-funded mail service should not be used to distribute such hateful content to hundreds of thousands of households.
“It is shocking that such vile messages are being peddled here in Canada in 2018. Just think about a Holocaust Survivor picking up their mail only to find neo-Nazi propaganda on their doorstep. This is totally unacceptable.
“Although Your Ward News reflects the twisted views of a small, marginal group, we must remain vigilant and not allow antisemitism and hate to gain any traction in our society.”
- The Minister’s statement on the decision may be found here.
- CIJA intervened at the Board of Review hearings to ensure the concerns of our community were understood.
- Your Ward News claims to be delivered to 300,000 households and businesses in the Greater Toronto Area and beyond.
- The frequency of Your Ward News’ distribution has decreased since the initial prohibitory order by the Minister. In 2015 Your Ward News was distributed monthly. In the last year, only four issues were distributed.
- CIJA filed a criminal complaint about the hateful content of Your Ward News. The editor and publisher of Your Ward News were subsequently arrested and charged with promoting hatred against women and Jews.
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA)
is the advocacy agent of the Jewish Federations of Canada