Reports to: Vice President, External Affairs & General Counsel
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) builds and nurtures relationships with leaders in government, media, academia, civil society and other faith and ethnic communities to ensure greater understanding of the issues that impact the Jewish community. CIJA combats antisemitism and discrimination in all its forms and advocates for fundamental rights and freedoms, social justice, and support for the people of Israel.
As the advocacy agent of the Jewish Federations of Canada, CIJA is a national, non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of Jewish life in Canada by advancing the public policy interests of Canada’s organized Jewish community.
CIJA connects the power of a strong, national network to regional efforts in every Canadian province and, as the Canadian affiliate of the World Jewish Congress, to international efforts worldwide.
The Associate Director, Social Justice and Government Relations will develop strategic relationships with progressive groups (such as unions, think tanks, NGOs) from across the country. Under the supervision of the Vice President, External Affairs and in collaboration with the Government Relations team, the incumbent will be responsible for building coalitions with progressive groups that help to advance CIJA’s priority issues, and will provide insight and advice to CIJA regarding trends within those groups, especially when they can potentially impact the Jewish community. Working with the Vice President Government Relations and the GR team, the incumbent will also coordinate CIJA’s parliamentary internship program and will periodically provide logistical support to lobby day activities in Ottawa.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Identify and build relationships with progressive individuals and groups including unions, think tanks, and NGOs
- Identify issues of joint interest on which collaboration with CIJA is possible and desirable
- Identify trends within progressive circles that can impact the Jewish community
- Identify individuals and groups in Israel that can develop a direct relationship with their Canadian counterparts, in order to enhance and deepen the Canada-Israel relationship within progressive circles
- Oversee CIJA’s Parliamentary Internship program
- Coordinate logistics and pedagogical content for lobby-day activities in Ottawa
This job is for you if:
- You have been involved within progressive circles (such as a political party, a union, a student union or other progressive groups), giving you an understanding and appreciation for progressive dynamics
- You are a bridge-builder and networker
- You are an excellent oral communicator with presentation experience
- You believe in social justice and are dedicated to improving Canadians’ lives
- You have some knowledge of or interest in the Israeli / Palestinian conflict, and Israeli lifestyle and culture.
- You enjoy grassroots organizing, campaigning, programming and capacity-building.
- You have an undergraduate degree or higher.
- You have the capacity for self-management.
- You are outgoing and are a strategic thinker. You thrive in environments that are fast-paced and love autonomy.
- You are willing to travel across Canada to support programs in local communities
- You don’t mind working flexible hours that include travel, evenings, and weekends as required.
Applications will be considered as they are received.
Applications should be submitted to Richard Marceau at email@example.com