The Palestinian leadership must stop weapons smuggling once and for all, if we are to have genuine peace.
On March 15th, Israeli naval commandos seized a German-registered cargo ship, the Victoria, in the Mediterranean Sea.
The ship, boarded without incident, contained hidden in civilian cargo containers 50 tons of advanced weaponry destined for Hamas in Gaza.
Most deadly among the stockpile were six C-704 missiles manufactured in Iran, which can be fired from land to sea at a distance of 35km. The missiles, which can destroy 3,000 ton vessels, would have enabled Hamas to sink Israeli civilian vessels in the Mediterranean.
Also found in the cache were:
- 230 mortar shells, 120 mm
- 2,270 mortar shells, 60 mm
- 6 C-704 anti-ship missiles
- 2 radar systems manufactured in England
- 2 launchers
- 2 hydraulic mounting cranes for radar system
- 66,960 bullets for the Kalashnikov assault rifle, 7.62 millimeter