Over the past 24 hours, Hamas has launched hundreds of rockets towards Israeli communities bordering the Gaza Strip.
Here’s what you need to know:
- For months, Palestinian militants have been sending incendiary balloons and kites over the border into Israel, scorching hundreds of acres of agricultural land and endangering the lives of Israelis who live and work in the area.
Watch this video to learn more about incendiary terror:
- On Friday, Hamas organized violent riots along the Gaza-Israel border, hurling grenades, firebombs, and explosive devices at the border and injuring an IDF officer.
- Since then, Hamas launched hundreds of rockets towards Israeli communities that surround the Gaza Strip, sending thousands of Israelis to bomb shelters.
Watch this video to see what happens when no bomb shelter is nearby:
- Israel’s Iron Dome missile defence system intercepted most rockets, but some made it through, striking Israeli towns. One rocket hit a home and synagogue, injuring four Israelis, including two teenagers.
Watch this video to see the aftermath of a rocket hitting a home and synagogue:
— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) July 14, 2018
- In response, the Israeli Defence Force struck 40 Hamas military targets, including training facilities and attack tunnels.
סיכום תקיפות כוחותינו אמש ברצועת עזה pic.twitter.com/zr3b86nqkl
— צבא ההגנה לישראל (@idfonline) July 14, 2018
- After launching more than 200 rockets, Hamas and another Palestinian terror group in Gaza, Islamic Jihad, agreed to a ceasefire, following talks with Egypt and other international bodies. Despite the agreement, Hamas officials have indicated they will not stop launching incendiary devices towards Israel.